PHISHING SCAM TARGETING NYS DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLE CUSTOMERS
If you ever receive a text or email that is asking for you to share personal information, please be cautious, as there is a strong chance it could be a scam. If you ever receive such a message, please consider doing the following:
- Inspect all electronic communications you receive to confirm the message was generated from a legitimate source.
- Look for telltale signs of phishing – poor spelling or grammar, the use of threats, the URL does not match that of the legitimate website. If the message does not feel right, chances are it is not.
- DON’T click on links embedded in an unsolicited message from an unverified source.
- DON’T send your personal information via text. Legitimate businesses will not ask users to send sensitive personal information through text messages.
- DON’T post sensitive information online
When in doubt, you can always give us a call and we will be glad to help you!